Target Audience:This activity is intended for health care risk managers, lawyers, and other managers responsible for reducing liability and improving safety in the health care setting.
Accreditation:AHC Media is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
Credit Designation:This activity has been approved for 1.25 nursing contact hours using a 50-minute contact hour.
Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider # 14749, for 1.25 Contact Hours.
Nurses licensed in California should retain this credit letter for four years.
FacultyAuthors Greg Freeman Radha V. Bachman Esq.
Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney PC Leilani Kicklighter
, RN, ARM, MBA, CPHRM, LHRM
The Kicklighter Group
Trish Calhoun, JD, RN Associate Publisher Russ Underwood
Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney PC
AHC Media Managing Editor Karen Young
AHC Media Nurse Planner Maureen Archambault, RN, CHRM, MBA
Healthcare Risk Consultant
Marsh Risk and Insurance Services
- Feds may increase enforcement with HITECH, seek high penalties
- Past compliance efforts may not be enough
- Many vendors not ready for HITECH compliance
- Watch for interstate patients and enforcement
- Choice of tool can lower risk of airway fires
- Patient catches fire during organ surgery
- Splash and splatter risk often underestimated
- Patients' mishandled funds could lead to RAC audits
- Suit alleges reaction to medication led to Stevens Johnson syndrome, death in elderly patient
- OB/GYN case results in $30M verdict
- HHS increases penalties for HIPAA violations
- Sharing user names is a HIPAA security violation
- HIPAA requirements, penalties increased
- Describe legal, clinical, financial, and managerial issues pertinent to risk management in health care
- Explain how these issues affect nurses, doctors, legal counsel, management, and patients
- Identify solutions, including programs used by government agencies and other hospitals, for hospital personnel to use in overcoming risk management challenges they encounter in daily practice
Author Greg Freeman, Managing Editor Karen Young, Associate Publisher Russ Underwood, Nurse Planner Maureen Archambault, RN, CHRM, MBA, and Legal Review & Commentary's authors Radha V. Bachman and Trish Calhoun, JD, RN report no consultant, stockholder, speaker's bureau, research, or other financial relationships with companies having ties to this field of study. Legal Review & Commentary author Leilani Kicklighter, RN, ARM, MBA, CPHRM, LHRM is a retained consultant for Kendall Endoscopy Surgery Center; Presidential Surgicenter Center; and Visual Health Eye Surgical Center. She also is a principal in The Kicklighter Group.
Copyright 2009 AHC Media. All rights reserved.