Target Audience:This activity is intended for health care risk managers, lawyers, and other managers responsible for reducing liability and improving safety in the health care setting.
Accreditation:AHC Media is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
Credit Designation:This activity has been approved for 1.25 nursing contact hours using a 50-minute contact hour.
Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider # 14749, for 1.25 Contact Hours.
Nurses licensed in California should retain this credit letter for four years.
Kenneth P. Steinberg, MD
Professor of Medicine
Internal Medicine Residency Program
University of Washington
Jill Von Wedel
- Most disturbing sex abuse case in healthcare history
- Bradley case considered the worst ever in healthcare
- Call police, do not refer abuse cases to peer review
- Have zero tolerance with protection rules
- Independent review finds missed opportunities
- Hospital develops chaperone policy
- Secret recording raises question of peer review shield
- Risk goes up when pharmacy closes, but what is solution?
- Texas cap on pain, suffering passes court
- Alert fatigue often related to uncertainty of purpose
- Blue Cross to pay $1.5M for HIPAA violations
- EMTALA physician protections pass U.S. House
- Describe legal, clinical, financial, and managerial issues pertinent to risk management in health care
- Explain how these issues affect nurses, doctors, legal counsel, management, and patients
- Identify solutions, including programs used by government agencies and other hospitals, for hospital personnel to use in overcoming risk management challenges they encounter in daily practice
Author Greg Freeman, Executive Editor Joy Daughtery Dickinson, and Nurse Planner Maureen Archambault report no consultant, stockholder, speaker’s bureau, research, or other financial relationships with companies having ties to this field of study. Radha V. Bachman, guest columnist, has no relationships to disclose.
Copyright 2012 AHC Media LLC. All rights reserved.