Target Audience:This activity is intended for health care risk managers, lawyers, and other managers responsible for reducing liability and improving safety in the health care setting.
Accreditation:AHC Media is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
Credit Designation:This activity has been approved for 1.25 nursing contact hours using a 50-minute contact hour.
Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider # 14749, for 1.25 Contact Hours.
Nurses licensed in California should retain this credit letter for four years.
Joy Daughtery Dickinson
Maureen Archambault, RN, CHRM, MBA
Senior Vice President
Healthcare Practice Leader
Marsh Risk and Insurance Services
Radha V. Bachman
- $78.5 million verdict blamed on poor maintenance, documentation
- Case never should have gone to trial, lawyer says
- Hospital's image with public will suffer Insurance available for HIPAA breaches
- Some providers not taking cost of data breach seriously
- South Shore Hospital to pay $750,000 for data breach
- Courts demand fairness with arbitration provisions
- Court decisions say policies must be fair to both parties
- 4 steps to making arbitration policy valid
- Telemedicine brings exposures along with innovations
- Licensing, financing seen as barriers to telemedicine
- State of California reduces medmal premiums by $23 million
- $31 billion was paid for medmal premiums in '11
- Study says most doctors win litigation, but few go to trial
- Tenet to pay $42.75 million for overbilling Medicare
- Hospital shared medical files with reporters, state says
- Describe legal, clinical, financial, and managerial issues pertinent to risk management in health care
- Explain how these issues affect nurses, doctors, legal counsel, management, and patients
- Identify solutions, including programs used by government agencies and other hospitals, for hospital personnel to use in overcoming risk management challenges they encounter in daily practice
Author Greg Freeman, Executive Editor Joy Daughtery Dickinson, and Nurse Planner Maureen Archambault report no consultant, stockholder, speaker’s bureau, research, or other financial relationships with companies having ties to this field of study. Radha V. Bachman, guest columnist, has no relationships to disclose.
Copyright 2012 AHC Media LLC. All rights reserved.