Target Audience:This activity is intended for health care risk managers, lawyers, and other managers responsible for reducing liability and improving safety in the health care setting.
Accreditation:AHC Media is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
Credit Designation:This activity has been approved for 1.25 nursing contact hours using a 60-minute contact hour.
Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider # 14749, for 1.25 Contact Hours.
Nurses licensed in California should retain this credit letter for four years.
Joy Daughtery Dickinson
Maureen Archambault, RN, CHRM, MBA
Senior Vice President
Healthcare Practice Leader
Marsh Risk and Insurance Services
Jonathan D. Rubin, Esq.
Kaufman Borgeest & Ryan
New York, NY
Laura A. Russell
Kaufman Borgeest & Ryan
Bruce Cohn, JD, MPH
Risk Management & Legal Affairs
- Final HIPAA rule increases penalties, liability for associates
- Patients have more rights to records under final HIPAA rule
- ACA changes will increase risk in finance, tech areas
- Traditional risk concerns could see benefit from ACA
- Alert finance leaders to impending risks from ACA
- Fraud and abuse will continue to be a challenge
- Perinatal program lowers annual claims 39%
- Care bundles, communication, teamwork get results
- ACOs will require operational, cultural changes
- Surgical'˜never events' occur 4,000 times per year
- HCA must pay $162 million for charity care problems
- 11% of physician career has open med mal claims
- Study finds ways to improve EHR quality measures
- Describe legal, clinical, financial, and managerial issues pertinent to risk management in health care
- Explain how these issues affect nurses, doctors, legal counsel, management, and patients
- Identify solutions, including programs used by government agencies and other hospitals, for hospital personnel to use in overcoming risk management challenges they encounter in daily practice
Financial Disclosure:Author Greg Freeman, Executive Editor Joy Daughtery Dickinson, Nurse Planner Maureen Archambault, Co-Authors Jonathan D. Rubin, Laura A. Russell, and Bruce Cohn, JD, MPH report no consultant, stockholder, speaker’s bureau, research, or other financial relationships with companies having ties to this field of study.
Copyright 2013 AHC Media LLC. All rights reserved.