Target Audience:This activity is intended for health care risk managers, lawyers, and other managers responsible for reducing liability and improving safety in the health care setting.
Accreditation:AHC Media is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
Credit Designation:This activity has been approved for 1.25 nursing contact hours using a 60-minute contact hour.
Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider # 14749, for 1.25 Contact Hours.
Nurses licensed in California should retain this credit letter for four years.
Joy Daughtery Dickinson
Maureen Archambault, RN, CHRM, MBA
Senior Vice President
Healthcare Practice Leader
Marsh Risk and Insurance Services
- Who is covering for you on off hours? Process can break down without a plan
- Educate staff for late-night risks
- Checklists offer help on off hours
- Hone skills for working with C-suite execs
- Use your ‘elevator speech’ for quick communication
- Tips for your trip to the C-suite
- Poor prep leads to bad meeting with the execs
- Rushing to new tech can threaten patient safety
- EHRs threaten patient safety long after startup
- Old drug remains active on EHR
- Risk managers should sign off on EHR system
- Surgical quality collaborative saves $75 million in lower costs
- Drug approved to treat rare disorder associated with anesthesia
- Family members are awarded $7.9 million after botched gallbladder procedure causes death
- Birth injury results in brain damage and $14.5 million verdict from jury
- Obesity malpractice claims up 64% in five years
- Describe legal, clinical, financial, and managerial issues pertinent to risk management in health care
- Explain how these issues affect nurses, doctors, legal counsel, management, and patients
- Identify solutions, including programs used by government agencies and other hospitals, for hospital personnel to use in overcoming risk management challenges they encounter in daily practice
Author Greg Freeman
, Executive Editor Joy Daughtery Dickinson
, and Nurse Planner Maureen Archambault
report no consultant, stockholder, speaker's bureau, research, or other financial relationships with companies having ties to this field of study.
Copyright 2014 AHC Media. All rights reserved.